Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Life Coaching?

I wonder, sometimes, what my purpose is.  Now it seems that my purpose is to be the best mom I can be.  To give my son the love and encouragement to become his best self.  I don't think that is all of it though.  There is a desire to help others.  Since I was a teenager I have tossed around the idea of being a counsellor.  A few years ago, I even studied psychology in University.  Something I realized, though, is that I don't necessarily want the negativity and anguish that can come up.  I don't really want to have to work through not taking on other peoples issues, I have had enough of my own.

Last year, I looked into coaching.  A friend of the family and my mentor was nearing the completion of her own coaching training and I found it fascinating.  Out of curiousity, I did the first training session with one of the leading coaches training institutes of North America.  It was wonderful.  My path led me away, though.  I needed money and couldn't seem to get a contract (through my business) so I took a "job".  I am very grateful that it worked out this way because now I am on maternity leave, which wouldn't have happened any other way.  Funny how, if you are paying attention, you get the answers you need.

Now, I have the opportunity to begin exploring the option of coaching again.  There is a program that I can take, after my mat leave is completed, that will both pay me and guide me in starting a new business.  This way I can cover some of our living costs as well as get the best start, training and support possible.  If I am working on starting the business and am going in a direction that will not lead to success, I expect the program will redirect me.

I will also need to complete the training for being a coach.  I realize that I could start coaching with the training that I have so far, but I would feel more confident with it completed.

The thing that I like about coaching is that it is positive.  It is like the step after counselling.  The client has worked through the majority of their "stuff", or doesn't have much "stuff" to work through, and is ready for the next steps.  It can help people experiencing a change, such as job loss, moving, completion of school, or becoming a parent.  It helps people find their way in this change.  It doesn't include advice or counselling, it is more like guidance, encouragement and direction.

My experience of coaching with my mentor was fabulous.  It helped clarify what my passions, values and goals were.  It helped me identify what my next steps were.  It also helped me feel confident about the changes I was making.  Not once did my coach say "you should do this" or "I don't think that is a good idea".  She guided and had exercises to help me find my own way.  That's what it is, the coaching helped empower me to find the best way for me.

I would love to do this for others.

We will see.  I have often day dreamed about things and not done them.  This is why I am starting to think about this and explore it now, 6 months before I would actually start the "self employment" training.

What are your thoughts on coaching?

1 comment:

  1. Well, of course I am a big fan of coaching! And your coach sounds remarkably good(LOL). Love where you are pointing Shel, and I think coaching is a natural for you - and it sounds like you are exploring some very creative options - no surprise to me! I'd love to hear more!

    ReplyDelete