Friday, October 22, 2010

Bummer

For the last couple of days I have been pondering over what to write in my blog.  I can share stories of my little one.  I can talk of nap time and its challenges.  I thought of sharing my birth story, as it was certainly an adventure.  The idea also came to share like I did with comfort, on gratitude.  I wondered if I should have some structure for my blog, such as only mommy stories.  So all of the time I could have spent writing in my blogging, I have spent contemplating what to write.  Do all bloggers have this experience?  Am I a blogger now?

Really, what is prominent in my life in this moment is my tummy issues.

For years, I had issues with my bowels.  I was diagnosed with IBS, with the doctors ruling out all of the scary other diseases.  There were numerous changes I made to my diet and lifestyle to try and correct the problem.  In the fall of 2000, I did a colon cleanse.  This is the only time in my life that I have successfully done a cleanse, usually it makes me sick and I have to quit.  Anyway, the cleanse was successful.  I started slowly introducing foods back into my diet.  What I learned was that red meat was the trigger for my IBS.  So, I cut out all red meat. 

Eventually, all meat was removed from my diet and I became a vegetarian.  I ended up adopting the vegetarian lifestyle, caring about the animals and their rights to a loving and peaceful life.  I wore no leather. I used PETA certified products.  All kinds of changes happened.  It felt good.  It felt right, for me.  Now, to be clear, I was not vegan.  Dairy was still in my diet (even though I am lactose intolerant, cheese is just too wonderful) and I did use products with honey and lanolin.

The best part of it all was that my IBS was gone.

So, cut to 9 years later.  R and I are planning to start a family, and I start craving chicken.  I ate some chicken, snuck it actually, like anyone would care.  It brought back the IBS immediately.  Oops.  Then I got pregnant.  Suddenly I really craved chicken and milk, so I snuck some more.  This time no problem.  Apparently my pregnant, hormonal self did not suffer from IBS.  Yay!! Bring on chicken, turkey and pork.  So much for those vegetarian ideals, straight out the window.  Our midwives warned me that this would probably end either when I had the baby or when I finished breast feeding.  So, I cherished it.  With milk, by the end of my pregnancy, I was actually drinking over 2 litres a day.  Maybe that's why my baby was 11lbs 3oz!!

Now, as of about 5 days ago, the IBS is back.  The first two days, I was in denial.  But then there was no doubt.  Therefore, that is the end of meat.  I won't go into the details, cause who really needs to read about that, but suffice it to say it has been a rough few days.  Feelin' gross. 

All I can say is damn.  R's sweet and sour chicken smelled soooooo good last night.  Bummer :)

No comments:

Post a Comment